Skip directly to content

Hip-Hop In Retrospect ~~2009 Edition~~

• nIANja909's picture
    says: (12 Dec '09)

Aiight. So 09 is essentially over now. It's time to go back over this years releases, give our opinion on albums, mixtapes, artists, news, and the industry as a whole.

Was 09 a good year?

A Great year?

A terrible year?

In Underground...Mainstream...Whatever

What were the best and worst albums/ Collabo's / Projects / Events

And finally, what are you anticipating for 2010!

And let me make this VERY clear:

This thread is NOT intended to be solely about Lupe Fiasco. It's meant for the discussion of HIP-HOP and Rap Music in 2009, which may include, but is IN NO WAY LIMITED to Lupe Fiasco.

nIANja909's picture
on December 12, 2009

Aiight. So 09 is essentially over now. It's time to go back over this years releases, give our opinion on albums, mixtapes, artists, news, and the industry as a whole.

Was 09 a good year?

A Great year?

A terrible year?

In Underground...Mainstream...Whatever

What were the best and worst albums/ Collabo's / Projects / Events

And finally, what are you anticipating for 2010!

And let me make this VERY clear:

This thread is NOT intended to be solely about Lupe Fiasco. It's meant for the discussion of HIP-HOP and Rap Music in 2009, which may include, but is IN NO WAY LIMITED to Lupe Fiasco. Keep the dick riding and the Stan-ning to a minimum please. Thank You.

Alright, to start off, here are a few notable events from 09.

VH1 Hip-Hop Honors 09: (Honoring) Def Jam Records

VH1’s Hip Hop Honors 2009 is the first time that the show has honored a record label.  For 25 years, Def Jam created the stars that pushed hip hop culture forward, including LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Kanye West, Slick Rick, Rick Ross and Rihanna.  The men behind the scenes are as legendary as its artists, including Rick Rubin, Russell Simmons, LA Reid and Jay Z.  The Def Jam brand didn’t just innovate in music, it also launched a breakthrough comedy show (Def Comedy Jam), a dynamic spoken-word showcase (Def Poetry Jam), and set trends in fashion, film and advertising.  Def Jam led a cultural movement that changed the world.

Featured performances and covers by Wale, Public Enemy, Travis from Gym Class Heroes, KRS One, Trey Songz, Eminem, The Roots, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Method Man & Red Man, DMX, Scarface, Ja Rule, Warren g, Ludacris, Ghostface Killah and many others.

MTV's Hottest MC's In The Game

1. Posted 10/04/09

2. Posted 10/04/09

3. Posted 10/04/09

4. Posted 10/04/09

5. Posted 10/03/09

6. Posted 10/02/09

7. Posted 10/01/09

8. Posted 9/30/09

9. Posted 9/29/09

10. Posted 9/28/09

Eminem, Jay Z, Meth & Red, and Raekwon Return

To drop Relapse, Blueprint III, Blackout 2, and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II

Charles Hamilton Dropped from Interscope Records

Following the scandal with him and the deceased J-Dilla n fam among other drama. He's apparently trying to make his comeback now though.

Trends

Auto-Tune...

Skinny Jeans...

and other gay s*** like that.

Sales

Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III moved more than 1 Million Units it's first week

Eminem's Relapse sold over 600k First Week

Blueprint III sells over 450k First Week

And of course, here are some much anticipated & POSSIBLE releases of 2010:

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers
Nas & Damien Marley - Distant Relatives
Reflection Eternal - Revolutions Per Minute
Eminem - Relapse 2
Drake - Thank Me Later
The Roots - How I Got Over
Murs & 9th Wonder - Fornever
J Cole - ?
Jay Electronica - ?
Jay Electronica, Mos Def, & Curren$y - Center Edge Territory
Slum Village - Villa Manifesto
Madvillain - ?
Blu & Exile - ?
Kid Cudi  - Cudder
MF DOOM & Ghostface Killah - Swift & Changeable
Method Man, Raekwon, & Ghostface Killah - The Wu Massacre
Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, & Sean Price - Random Axe
Kidz in the Hall - Land of Make Believe
Common - The Believer
Dr Dre - Detox (2010...Lulz)
The Game - The RED Album
Pharoahe Monch - WAR
Phonte - ?

Forum category: 
CheckPlz's picture

& Relapse 2
CheckPlz's picture

still tryna figure out who let gucci mane in the door & how he get above fab on that list,, well the list is shit anyways..... lil wayne fallin off, he startin to sound like a crack head, maybe jail will help him refocus? See what T.I. got planned for 2010? lookin forward to: Lasers,Thank me later, Cudder ,The Wu Massacre & Detox if it doesn't get pushed back..... 09 was the year when underground went mainstream
Gramitoz's picture

ay nianja, i am impressed with this forum, i give credit where credit is due. I think the best album was probably Relapse, on the basis that Em went hard on it. I been bumping The Clipse album, and i love it. BP3 was good, but alot of people that are Jay-Z's fans now can't name one song off of Reasonable Doubt. All in all, it was an alright year, but significantly better than the past couple years.
Lm_wfc's picture

those are some good albums comingup - have read the rest i got work

Pages